Do you have strong opinions about contemporary poetry and fiction? Do you have the editorial chops and a desire to work with emerging writers? Do you want to play a role in shaping Canada’s literary conversation?
If so, you should throw your hat into the ring to become The Puritan’s new Reviews Editor!
We are currently looking for a dedicated, hardworking individual to take over our reviews department starting Summer 2017.
REVIEWS EDITOR WILL:
- Manage, select, and respond to review submissions
- Contact presses for Advanced Review Copies of forthcoming fiction and poetry titles
- Solicit new work from reviewers
- Edit reviews for publication
- Participate in masthead meetings to strategize about new work
- Promote reviews following publication
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL HAVE:
- Knowledge of and interest in contemporary Canadian literature, literary communities, and magazine publishing
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency with MS programs and Google mail/docs
- The ability to meet strict deadlines
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
We are a volunteer-run organization, and the founding, head, and associate editors do not receive any income from the magazine. We do, however, offer the opportunity to be part of shaping the critical discussion of literature in Canada, more free Advanced Reading Copies than you will likely be able to read in a year, and an excellent platform for establishing professional connections.
Interested candidates should familiarize themselves with the magazine, its history, and the work it publishes, then send a cover letter and resume (or CV) as .doc, .docx, or .pdf attachment to email@example.com. Cover letters should answer the following questions: 1) What draws you to The Puritan in particular? 2) What experience do you have as an editor? 3) What knowledge do you have of the current Canadian literature scene? and 4) What experience makes you specifically suited for a role as a Reviews Editor?
Applications will be received on a rolling basis. Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.